Or do something else entirely?
Background: Since May 2009, Emmaus Road has organized neighborhood service projects on or around "Fifth Sundays"; over time, fewer and fewer people have participated. December 30 involved just nine adults and six children/youth from Emmaus Road.
Have our values shifted?
Is more preparation/planning needed?
Has the time come for something different?
Tomorrow (March 3), this will be the topic for Road Crew.
Here is the rational behind GROUNDWORKS, in notes from ministry team mtg. this past fall:
- obedience; widows/orphans
- 5th Sundays simple for coordinating
- Belltown specific, also for simplicity AND bldg relationships in 'hood
- easy to invite friends from beyond church
- church growth
- Rotate/mix up the activities so as not to lose interest - make sure our work is meaningful and intentional
- Kid/family friendly ideas
- Move toward serving "with" and not just "for"
- Engage congregation more; share Success Stories; address Barriers: apathy; fear; kids