Friday, November 4, 2011

MEET JOSH

Have you met Josh and Kara Gillanders? They married in 2009. Kara is one of Emmaus Road's earliest members from the late 90's; Josh recently decided to join the Road Crew, too. After talking through the Milestones to Membership, and what it means to be a committed, participating member of Emmaus Road, I invited Josh to answer a few questions that would help others become a little better acquainted with him.

1. Life Beyond Sunday: What sorts of ways do you spend your time, in work, family, and other pursuits?
My life consists of spending as much time with my wonderful wife, Kara, exercising, going to school two nights a week, working a full time job that includes every other weekend being on call, skiing in the winters as time permits, and spending as much time as possible with my family. When Kara and I are able to, we also try to travel.

2. Emmaus Road: when did you begin coming to worship? What led you to join the Road Crew?
I started coming to worship at Emmaus Road shortly after meeting Kara in 2006. More likely early 2007. Faith and God are an important part of who Kara is and as I got to know her better, their importance in my life also increased, as did my understanding. What led me to join the Road Crew was in part my upbringing in the church and Emmaus Road's overall atmosphere: one where people are welcome regardless of their background, non-judgmental, and acceptance of you no matter what. This stands in stark contrast to a lot of churches out there and why I did not attend church for a long time.

3. Faith: is there anything you could share about what you have been learning about God, yourself, or faith?
I have learned and re-learned just how powerful and loving God is. How He accepts you and loves you unconditionally without judgment. He holds you accountable to be sure, but always forgives. As a result of this, I have learned and am continuing to learn the value of patience, love, and what it means to be a Christian and how it influences my daily life as well as my interactions with family, friends, and co-workers/colleagues. I have learned and am continuing to experience just how tough "having faith" can be, but with God, it's much easier to remember what it takes and that He will never give me more than I can't handle.

No comments: